Eighteen Students Receive Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Recipients
Eighteen students have been awarded the 2023 Irrigation Association Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarships. This Irrigation Association (IA)program is sponsored exclusively by Rain Bird through 2026 and is named in honor of Rain Bird’s late president, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra, who passed away in 2021.
The 18 recipients are:
- Matthew Antunes – University of Connecticut, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholar
- Cameron Lowrey – California Polytechnic State University, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholar
- Darren Baty – California State University, Fresno
- Matthew Frazier – San Jose State University
- Lauren Fuhrman – Kansas State University
- Adrian Gomez – Oklahoma State University
- Emily Hanson – University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Miller Hayes – University of Georgia
- Nathan James – Colorado State University
- Loretta Klecker – Michigan State University
- Idalia Navarro – California State University, Fresno
- Josie Prince – Clemson University
- Cynthia Robbins – Saddleback College/MiraCosta College
- Travis Roberson – Virginia Polytechnic University
- Mary Rodriguez – MiraCosta College
- Zachary Sannar – Utah State University
- Margaret Usher – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Hattie Witherell – Oklahoma State University
"On behalf of Rain Bird, I congratulate these deserving students and wish them the continued success in their studies says Michael Roberts, vice president of technology and innovation at Rain Bird and board treasurer of the IA. “We are confident they will lead the charge for a new era of water conservation and sustainability”.
The students were chosen for their passion for sustainability and conservation of water, as well as the ways in which irrigated landscapes and agriculture can improve quality of life. The top two recipients are recognized as Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholars.